This recipe was adopted from Can’t Stay out of the Kitchen.
The person who made this recipe actually gave it the name Reese’s Peanut butter Cup Surprise, but I decided to rename it because I didn’t want people to know there were Reese’s cups in it, that’s the surprise of course!
I was looking for a dessert recipe that called for candy because, as I mentioned in a previous post, my kids got at least 5 pounds of candy on Easter and I need to get rid of it somehow!
If you want a successful dessert though that will make everyone hate you because it tastes so amazing and they don’t want to stop eating it even though they know they should, this is what you’re looking for!
It took a few minutes to make and quite some time to bake, but the end results were just fantastic.
The recipe called for 24 regular sized Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, but we got minis for Easter so I ended up using 40 minis with no problems.
Here’s the recipe.
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ tsp. real vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 12-oz. bag Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 24 .75-oz. Reese’s milk chocolate peanut butter cups (or 40 minis, or maybe even use the Reese’s eggs)
The instructions are quite simple too.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl with a whisk or electric mixer.
- Add the flour and chocolate chips. (It’s easiest to use a sturdy spoon to do this, things get caught in the whisk)
- Spray a 9X 13″ baking dish with cooking spray. ( A glass pan was recommended, which I used. I liked it because you could see if the sides and bottom of the bars were done cooking) Spread half of the dough on the bottom of the pan.
- Make sure to take the wrappers off of all the Reese’s before you are going to bake with them.
- Layer peanut butter cups 4×6 or 5X8 or however works for you so that the bottom layer of dough is covered.
- Press remaining cookie dough over top of the peanut butter cups.
- Bake at 350° for about 35-40 minutes or until set. It took us about 38 minutes to cook to perfection. 🙂
I wish you luck after it comes out of the oven because you won’t want to wait more than 5 minutes before getting a bar for yourself. They’re very very difficult to resist and I promise you, they won’t last long.